Skip to main content

People Just Don’t Care

What is it that prevents the common Indian person to stay away from the polling booths. Not all of them, mind you. For the most part, people understand their responsibility and come out to vote. Then we have a group of “elitists” who don’t seem to think they need to grace the polling booth, for whatever flimsy reason they can concoct.

It’s not like they haven’t seen lines of people waiting patiently, and yet a line of people waiting to vote seems to be a formidable force that they get maimed by! Is this what a true democracy looks like? Even in the USA, we have scragglers who don’t show up to vote but that’s a very minute part of the population. When a city , the size of Bangalore, shows only 50% of its population votes, this does show a systemic problem. I would venture a guess that the city is inhabited by a transient population that is unable to connect with the local representative. However, ideologies should dictate the vote not the person. A good person belonging to a corrupt political party will not be able to serve the population; on the other hand, a corrupt politician in a good party will feel the pressure to straighten up or leave.

There is a way to get everyone to vote In cities like Bangalore. Being a hitech city, it doesn’t take too much to connect the voting records to any organization’s H/R, payroll and finance departments. This would give the organization a view on whether, or not, their employees voted. Levy a fine on those who didn’t and you’ll see a marked improvement in voting numbers! Will organizations be amenable to this? It will take a lot of money to get this done and organizations might not be open to that.

Volunteers who have been working to get the common people to vote are distraught at the low turn out. To them all I can say is “you did all you could. Now we wait”! Not the best closing line but, given the circumstances, there could NOT be any other way to close this out.

Your thoughts/opinions are welcome

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Whole Lot Of Nothin'

After watching a video (well, briefly watching it before I had to move on or throw up) of Siddhu and his “Soniaji da javab nahin”, I was wondering if there are any sane congress personnel in the party.   Let’s see, Scindia? Nope. Can’t get his head out of Rahul/Sonia’s behind.   Likewise with Diggy; likewise with Tharoor (although, I do giggle at his way of expressing his opinions; but more about Shashi some other time).   I don’t see anyone that is not ready to put his/her head up their butts. For a little while, I thought MMS just didn’t talk because he’d start cursing the bejeezus out of the duo; but, I was wrong.   It’s been 3 years since he last saw any power and yet, he still seems to have his head stuck there. With all these people fighting to get their heads up there, it’s a wonder the mother/son duo can actually walk!! Maybe it’s on the application form to join the party: 1.        Name 2.      ...

Are we really this narrow minded ?

I was talking to an uncle of mine who is a journalist by profession. A very unassuming and gentle person, I have never seen him rattled or angry. I guess there’s a first time for everything. I happened to ask him what he thought of the Karnataka elections and the performance of the two major parties.That may have the straw that broke the camel’s back. He went on a tirade about various things which I don’t want to talk about but the gist of what he said was that he talked to quite a few common people and all of them claim to have voted for the BJP. His question, and I guess he asked them this, was an angry one: if all of you voted for the BJP how is it that they didn’t get any seats in the Bangalore area(apart from Jayanagar which goes to vote soon).  People have to honest to themselves; screw others but be honest to yourself. Too many times, we have witnessed elections which go the way pollsters claim; and then, there are a few where the results leave people befuddled, only be...

Nationalism- A Negative?

When Priyanka Chopra uttered those infamous lines in her TV show, “this is a rudraksh..they are Hindu nationalists”, that one statement was enough to equate nationalists to terror! The influence the media has on on people is absolute! All of a sudden, people like Bhagat Singh, Chandrasekhar Azad and others became antisocial elements who wanted the downfall of a legitimate government! When does one say “enough bullshit”? Since when did Nationalism became a negative to be abhorred? While we appreciate the media for its positive unifying reporting (9/11 comes to mind), we also have to fault them for many an incident that should never have been reported erroneously (Godhra comes to mind). To single one community for being fervent patriots is ridiculous but it happened! To then blame the Hindus for being the reason for all ills while the peaceful community is being targeted by the Hindus shows the levels to which the media will stoop to get ratings. Ms Chopra may, or may not, be an acti...