Skip to main content

My Dad - My Idol

Sitting here with tears that have dried up, I think of my dad who passed away 4 days ago. He was a wonderful person; I know all of us think of our fathers the same way!  Born a Brahmin to a post master, the man worked his way thro high school, then engineering where he did exceptionally well to get an entry into the then world famous Tata Institute. He would study aeronautics under the able guidance of Dr Satish Dhawan, his mentor. He would go from there to the University of Illinois Urbana Champagne where he got his Ph.D in Aeronautics.
Where most people would have stayed back in the USA, he decided to come back to India. He joined the Tata Institute as an Asst Professor and was there for two years when he was recommended, by Dr Dhawan, to head the Dept of Aeronautical Engg at the Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur. While most of the family was excited about this opportunity, being very young at the time, I didn’t want to leave my cousins!!!! My sister was 1 and would have moved to the moon without a problem!!
Thus began our life up north! We would spend the next seven years in Kanpur! I was confused more than usual, having just mastered Kannada and then moving north where Kannada made no sense and quickly earned me the title of Madrasi! Well, my dad was always there to help us though he was busy setting up the now-world famous aero engineering dept.
He was never happy staying put at one place! This was evident in his moves from Kanpur to Bangalore, then to Libya and finally to the USA, where he worked at the NASA Lewis Research Center as a Chief Scientist till he retired! We figured retirement would slow him down a bit but that was wishful thinking! He took trips to different parts of the world with my mom as his partner. They would go to Europe, eastern parts of Asia and India. Within India the two would go to Mount Kailash at nearly 22,000 feet and different parts of India. While this would have been more than most could handle in one single trip, the man visited IITK as a guest speaker! All this in his early 80’s. For the next 8 years, he regularly made trips to India with my mother.

In the last year, he slowed down considerably, mostly caused by a minor stroke he suffered. He was mobile and loved his Volvo but we took his keys away. That was probably his worst day, but he quickly understood.

He was proud of all of his kids and grandkids doting on them as and when he saw them. My son, at the time 15, used to jovially address his grandfather as “young man”. My dad was a cleanliness fanatic and drove my mom crazy. 

Today, before his cremation, a friend of his told me “you children will never now what a legend he is in Indian Aeronautics!” He’s right! To us he was just Dad! The person who solved most problems I had! Who was so good at mathematics, it was scary!! I inherited his skills (at least some of them) and so did my sisters! 

Dr Ramachandra, you will always be my role model! Dad, we didn’t understand what you were to Indian Aeronautics till we were told by others. All of us are proud of you Dad! We will miss you more than ever!! You will be in our thoughts every single day!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Whole Lot Of Nothin'

After watching a video (well, briefly watching it before I had to move on or throw up) of Siddhu and his “Soniaji da javab nahin”, I was wondering if there are any sane congress personnel in the party.   Let’s see, Scindia? Nope. Can’t get his head out of Rahul/Sonia’s behind.   Likewise with Diggy; likewise with Tharoor (although, I do giggle at his way of expressing his opinions; but more about Shashi some other time).   I don’t see anyone that is not ready to put his/her head up their butts. For a little while, I thought MMS just didn’t talk because he’d start cursing the bejeezus out of the duo; but, I was wrong.   It’s been 3 years since he last saw any power and yet, he still seems to have his head stuck there. With all these people fighting to get their heads up there, it’s a wonder the mother/son duo can actually walk!! Maybe it’s on the application form to join the party: 1.        Name 2.      ...

Gimme Freedom or..oops gimme sharia or..

When a country gives too much of freedom and facilities to its people, people tend to abuse it. Examples would definitely be the abuse of all the new railways that were introduced with hitech facilities. What happened? Well, people started stealing the equipment, leaving the exchequer drained with nothing to show, and the reputation of the country unsalvageable (is there such a word? There should be in the Webster’s dictionary with the example of those Indian people who steal for the “joy” of it). India seems to have an abundant capacity to forget these “trendsetters” but this is being reported worldwide and India has become a laughingstock! Talking to some people yesterday, here in Delhi, and the general opinion among all of them was that people steal because they can, not because of any need! The general consensus was to keep CRPF jawans in each compartment! Not a bad idea, but the opposition parties (READ: khangress) would definitely call this a state of emergency because people a...

Are we really this narrow minded ?

I was talking to an uncle of mine who is a journalist by profession. A very unassuming and gentle person, I have never seen him rattled or angry. I guess there’s a first time for everything. I happened to ask him what he thought of the Karnataka elections and the performance of the two major parties.That may have the straw that broke the camel’s back. He went on a tirade about various things which I don’t want to talk about but the gist of what he said was that he talked to quite a few common people and all of them claim to have voted for the BJP. His question, and I guess he asked them this, was an angry one: if all of you voted for the BJP how is it that they didn’t get any seats in the Bangalore area(apart from Jayanagar which goes to vote soon).  People have to honest to themselves; screw others but be honest to yourself. Too many times, we have witnessed elections which go the way pollsters claim; and then, there are a few where the results leave people befuddled, only be...